Monday, April 19, 2010

#2: Stay Seated


Hey Everyone,
Preparations are going well for our upcoming show and I should have a list of all the artists participating in the exhibit at the James Oliver Gallery up shortly.
Be sure to come out and join us May 7, 2010 for the opening of the show!
www.jamesolivergallery.com

A special thanks to Dennis Beerley for once again putting together the flyers for the show. There were many variations done on this theme, and I will post them all for your viewing pleasure soon!

You may ask yourself: what does "Stay Seated" mean? Is it the theme for the exhibit? While there was no concrete theme for this show, "Stay Seated" is an idea I have played around with. The TBD itself is a phrase of always being on your toes. There is no set destination from one show to the next. Personally, I wasn't even sure May was going to happen. None the less, I am glad it is.

Stay Seated has many levels to it as well. In a way it's a relief that you can sit down having found a place for the work, and having been given another chance to be seen. For you to stay seated, sit back, relax and learn something new about an artist, or finding a different way to look at a painting, sculpture, ect.

In a way, this May, I am asking you to enter with an open mind to artists whose work are all different and try to find ways in which they are all brought together. Whether through similar palettes, use of line, use of furniture, or subject matter. I like the idea that so far these shows are a "melting pot" of art. It allows individuality of each piece to shine.
But that in no way means I object to themes, I'm sure in the future there will be many themes to play with.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment