Saturday, June 5, 2010

Food for Thought





(#1, Random Food photo#2, Britt Miller, #3 Meg Coonelly, #4 Jennifer Weckelsblatt)


Coming late summer the TBDArtists are being welcomed back to the James Oliver Gallery (most likely August). While those details are being finalized let's talk theme.
As most of you know I am really interested in focusing on a food theme. "MELT" if you will. I don't expect only glorified paintings of apples, muffins, and coffee cups. It is merely a thin guideline to go with.
Case in point: I paint food. I paint food a lot. It is a basic subject matter for any still life. I gravitated towards it because for me it helped me explore certain relationships in my own life (I.E. Meg Coonelly's "Pairs of Pairs"). I have always used food to express many aspects of everyday life and what I encounter, much like Wayne Thiebaud painted many, many cakes, carnival prizes and candies out of childhood nostalgia. Or as Elizabeth Murray pointed out that Cezanne's fruit was also charged with sexual frustration (and by the looks Madame Cezanne gave in every portrait...) can you blame him?
I look forward to seeing what will come out with this theme, if you have any questions or are looking for guidelines, please ask.
Any medium will do!

tbdartists@gmail.com

There are more shows on the way as well. In November/December we've been asked to show at the Eris Temple Artspace. More to come about that show as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh YAY! I'm so glad the Eris Temple is working out!

    ReplyDelete